close search ×
policeman in yellow vest

What If I Am Falsely Accused of a Crime?

If you are convicted of a criminal offense, you are going to have a permanent criminal record that will impact the rest of your life. What’s worse is if this conviction is unnecessarily due to being falsely accused of a crime. So if you have been falsely accused and are hoping to fight your criminal charges, read on to discover how a dedicated Rockland County criminal defense attorney at The Law Office of Kevin T. Conway can fight for your future.

What happens if I am falsely accused of a crime?

Firstly, it should be noted that you cannot assume that the law enforcement officer, judge, or jury will believe you when you claim innocence of the crime you are accused of. This is why you must take the proper precautions and immediately employ a skillful Rockland County criminal & municipal attorney. Your attorney will help you grasp your legal rights and the legal battle you are going to face. They will also analyze your case and choose one of the following strategies:

  • If you have not yet been charged with the crime:
    • Intervention: this is a proactive measure, as your attorney can discuss your defense with the law enforcement officer or prosecutor and provide information that convinces them of your innocence.
    • Take no action at all: this is the opposite of intervention, but your attorney may find this approach helpful if they are convinced that the prosecutor will not be able to develop the necessary evidence to charge you with the crime (i.e., witness testimony, test results, etc. say otherwise).
  • If you have been formally charged with the crime:
    • Investigation: your attorney may want to conduct a thorough investigation of the crime to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecutor’s case (i.e., their evidence and witnesses) and your defense (i.e., your ability to attain expert witnesses).
    • Plea agreement: your attorney may want you to enter into a plea agreement with the prosecutor so you can receive a lesser charge instead of risking a conviction, harsher sentence, or permanent criminal record.

What should I do immediately after being falsely accused of a crime?

After you hire an attorney, you should make an effort to gather any evidence that points to your innocence. Physical proof may include clothing, photographs, correspondence, receipts, GPS data, etc. Additional proof can be witness testimony. Such testimony can reveal information about you and the incident that ultimately supports your innocence. With this, it is important to do your part and ask for the contact information of any relevant witnesses.


Attorney Conway is a Spring Valley criminal attorney and is also experienced in commercial law matters, zoning law, and estate planning. Contact The Law Office of Kevin T. Conway for a free consultation today.

Our Recent Blogs
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by