close search ×

What Happens if I Obtain a Criminal Record?

There are few things more damaging to someone’s life than possessing a criminal record. If you are currently facing criminal charges, you must read on and reach out to our experienced Rockland County criminal defense attorney to learn more about criminal records and how our firm can help you avoid receiving one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How does New York State define a criminal record?

When you are convicted of a crime in New York State, you will have a criminal record. This means that you will become part of a database accessible by law enforcement, and oftentimes the general public.

What are the long term effects of obtaining a criminal record?

Possessing a criminal record can affect various aspects of your life for years to come, including the following:

  • Your ability to get and keep a job. This is extremely detrimental for many people, as a criminal record can severely limit the types of jobs you can get, as you will now have to check “yes” when your job applications ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime. Generally, employers will conduct background checks, and if they catch you in a lie, you can count on being disqualified from that job. Additionally, in certain instances, if you’ve been convicted of a crime, you may also get fired from your job, or, if convicted of a driving-related crime, such as DUI, you may have your license revoked, thereby preventing you to commute to your job.
  • It may also impact child custody terms. For example, if you are convicted of a violent crime, the court and your spouse may use this as proof that you are parentally unfit and/or pose a significant risk to your child.
  • A criminal record may affect your immigration status. If you are a foreign national, a criminal record may very well have you deported, or prevent you from becoming a naturalized citizen.
  • Worse penalties for future criminal cases. Let’s say you are arrested for a DUI, and then 2 years later, you’re arrested for a second DUI. In this case, you will most likely face harsher criminal penalties, as well as extended license revocation.

Will I be able to have my criminal record erased?

In many cases, especially for lower-level convictions, with the help of an experienced attorney, you may have your record expunged. However, this is not guaranteed, so you must ensure you hire a lawyer who is ready to fight, tooth-and-nail, for your rights.

Contact our experienced Rockland County firm

Kevin T. Conway has over 30 years of experience as a Spring Valley criminal attorney handling DUI, DWI, traffic violations, violent crimes, sex crimes, illegal gun possession, shoplifting, and juvenile crimes. Attorney Conway is also experienced in commercial law matters, zoning law, and estate planning. If you need a Rockland County criminal lawyer, contact our Spring Valley office for a free consultation.

Our Recent Blogs
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by