Individuals who break the law in Rockland County when it comes to driving under the influence will be subject to very serious penalties. Though many people have a tendency to associate driving under the influence with alcohol, and they are correct to do so, it is also important to be aware that it is possible to get a DWI for driving under the influence of drugs. If an individual faces a first offense DWAI-Drug offense in Rockland County, they may be subject to consequences that are very similar to a standard first offense DWI. These penalties are as follows:
- A fine between $500 and $1000
- Potentially up to 1 year of time in jail
- A driver’s license suspension for at least 6 months
- State surcharges and assessment fines
A second DWAI-Drug offense in Rockland County may result in a class E felony, as well as the following penalties:
- A fine between $1000 and $5000
- The potential for up to 4 years of time in jail
- A license revocation for up to 1 year
- State assessment times and surcharges
It is important to be aware that these crimes are quite serious and the courts very rarely plea bargain these offenses. If you have been charged with a DWAI-Drug, contact our firm today.
Kevin T. Conway has over 30 years of experience as a Spring Valley criminal attorney handling DUI, DWI, traffic violations, violent crimes, sex crimes, illegal gun possession, shoplifting, and juvenile crimes. Attorney Conway is also experienced in commercial law matters, zoning law, and estate planning. If you need a Rockland County criminal lawyer, contact our Spring Valley office for a free consultation.