close search ×

What is Important to Know if I am Charged with Endangering the Welfare of a Child?

In New York State, you can be charged by the penal law by the police with endangering the welfare of your child. This charge can cover a variety of circumstances or situations you would find yourself in. Generally, you are deemed to not have handled a situation the right way or not have provided the appropriate level of supervision to your children.

It’s very serious. It can be a misdemeanor or felony grade offense, depending upon the level of injury and what might have occurred. Even though it might have taken place as an accident, it’s going to receive scrutiny. In many instances, the schools are first reporters. Other times, if doctors, hospitals, or anyone from any official capacity deem that there might be child abuse or a situation where someone is injured and there wasn’t adult supervision; you can be charged.

You can also be charged as a homeowner if you permit or allow, whether you know it or not, an under-age drinking party that might occur in your house on your premises. It’s very important that if you are charged with endangering the welfare of a child, that you immediately consult with an attorney to provide the appropriate defense.

Kevin T. Conway is an experienced criminal defense attorney in Rockland County. Our legal team handles all criminal law matters, including DWI, drug charges, violent crimes, sex crimes, and gun charges for people in the towns of Clarkstown, Ramapo, Stony Point, Haverstraw, and Orangetown. If you need a consultation, contact our Spring Valley office today.

Our Recent Blogs
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by