close search ×
officer questions man driving with suspended license

What Happens if I’m Caught Driving With a Suspended License After a DWI in New York?

A DWI is a severe crime in New York with several heavy consequences. Most commonly, your license will be suspended for a period of time, generally around six months to one year. However, if you drive without a license, you can face subsequent charges. When you’re facing legal trouble for driving with a suspended license in New York, you shouldn’t take this crime lightly. Keep reading to learn more about the consequences you can expect and discover how a Spring Valley driving without a license attorney can help represent you.

What Are the Penalties for Driving With a Suspended License?

If found driving with a suspended license, you risk facing severe penalties. However, if a DWI is the reason for the suspension, the consequences are more severe. In this instance, it will constitute Aggravated Unlicensed Operation in the second degree. This is a misdemeanor with a hefty mandatory minimum fine of $500, a minimum imprisonment time of one week to 180 days, or probation between two and three years.

However, if you are pulled over and found to be driving while intoxicated and with a suspended license, this is a felony. These circumstances constitute Aggravated Unlicensed Operation in the first degree, which carries a felony record, mandatory jail time of up to four years, and increased fines.

Do I Have Alternate Options?

When your license is suspended, you may begin to panic as you no longer have a way to get to work or school. However, New York offers a conditional driver’s license (CDL) to those convicted of driving while intoxicated. A CDL is a limited license that allows those with a suspended license to fulfill their obligations.

To obtain a CDL, you must be a first-time DWI offender and participate in the state-mandated Impaired Driver Program. It is essential to note that any violations, including failure to wear a seat belt or using a handheld device, can cause the revocation of your CDL.

If your license is suspended, you should apply for a CDL as soon as possible, as this can help you avoid facing an Aggravated Unlicensed Operation charge.

When Should I Contact an Attorney?

You should contact an attorney as soon as you are facing charges of driving without a license. This is even more essential if your license was suspended due to DWI charges, as this constitutes aggravated unlicensed operation. Though the charges may not seem that different, there is a large distinction between the two charges, and hiring an attorney is essential to help you avoid potential jail time or felony charges.

If you’re facing a misdemeanor or felony, it’s imperative that you reach out to the Law Offices of Kevin T. Conway. We will do everything in our power to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your circumstances. Contact us today to learn how we can help you with these charges.

Our Recent Blogs
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by