There are many long-term consequences of a criminal record that may follow you for many years to come. To learn more about the long-term consequences of a record and your options in New York, continue reading. If you have any additional questions about your record, reach out to our experienced New York criminal defense attorney. We are prepared to assist you.
What are the long-term consequences of a criminal record?
The following are the long-term consequences of a criminal record that may follow an individual for a lifetime:
- You may be prohibited from applying for a commercial license
- Certain criminal convictions can warrant your deportation from the county if you are an immigrant in the United States
- A criminal record can impact your job prospects.
- You may be prevented from renting certain property for certain criminal convictions.
- If you have certain criminal convictions, you may be prevented from securing certain loans.
- You will likely become part of the public record if you are a convicted sex offender.
- Certain cases of criminal convictions can affect child custody agreements.
Can I seal my record in New York?
In some cases, you may be able to have your criminal record sealed in New York. This action will remove your record from the public record and it will no longer be able to be viewed by others. However, it still exists. Sealed records can be accessed or re-opened through a court order.
The following crimes can be sealed in the state of New York:
- Certain crimes committed as a juvenile
- Certain misdemeanors or felonies if the offender entered court-mandated alcohol or drug treatment program, has no additional pending charges, and has satisfied any sentence or request mandated after they completed treatment
- Non-criminal violations
- Charges were there was no conviction
- Possession of less than ⅞ of an ounce of marijuana, three years after their conviction
If you require assistance with your criminal record and are interested in if you can have your record sealed in New York, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm. We would be happy to assist you. To learn more about our firm and how we can assist you, pick up the phone today to schedule your initial consultation with our team. To learn more about sealing your record, give us a call.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED ROCKLAND COUNTY FIRM
Kevin T. Conway has over 30 years of experience as a Spring Valley criminal attorney handling DUI, DWI, traffic violations, violent crimes, sex crimes, illegal gun possession, shoplifting, and juvenile crimes. Attorney Conway is also experienced in commercial law matters, zoning law, and estate planning. If you need a Rockland County criminal lawyer, contact our Spring Valley office for a free consultation.