Though New York does not allow criminal records to be expunged, you may want to learn more about the record sealing process. Sealing a record can offer the possibility of a new job or the ability to live in the desired area. This process may offer individuals a new start in life. Continue reading to learn more about sealing your record in New York and how to gain the assistance of an experienced criminal attorney for assistance with this process.
Can I have my record expunged in New York?
Criminal records are unfortunately not able to be expunged in the state of New York. However, it is possible to have your record sealed in New York which will allow you to make your criminal record private to the public. Sealing a record still exists for certain law enforcement agencies. This is the difference between sealing a record and expunging a record. Expunging deletes all records of the criminal charge or arrest.
How does the record sealing process work?
One of the first steps you will take when proceeding with the record sealing process is to retain the services of a skilled criminal attorney who has experienced sealing criminal records. You will then follow the below steps to complete the process:
- Your attorney will file a motion in court.
- Next, you will meet with the county clerk who filed and prosecuted you.
- Your attorney will assist you with filling out the petition to seal records form.
- If this form is challenged, you will present evidence in a courtroom with the assistance of your attorney.
- If it is approved, your record is successfully sealed and your record is officially private to the public.
What crimes are eligible to be sealed in New York?
The following crimes can be sealed in New York with the assistance of an experienced New York criminal attorney:
- Certain felonies and misdemeanors under the circumstances that the individual has no additional pending charges, enters an alcohol or drug treatment program that was mandated by the court, and has satisfied any sentences or requests mandated after they’ve completed treatment
- Non-criminal violations
- Certain juvenile crimes
- Certain marijuana-related crimes
- Charges with no conviction
If you are looking into having your record sealed in New York, reach out to our criminal attorney to learn how we can assist you with this process. Give our firm a call today to discuss your circumstances.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED ROCKLAND COUNTY FIRM
Kevin T. Conway has over 30 years of experience as a Spring Valley criminal attorney handling DUI, DWI, traffic violations, violent crimes, sex crimes, illegal gun possession, shoplifting, and juvenile crimes. Attorney Conway is also experienced in commercial law matters, zoning law, and estate planning. If you need a Rockland County criminal lawyer, contact our Spring Valley office for a free consultation.